1. We have moved to a new Forum System. Please let us know if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

JT's C5 Z06

Discussion in 'Project Cars' started by JohnnyT, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Hey everyone,

I'll do a little start - current - future picture documentary here.

I picked up a 2002 Z06 back in April of 2010 with 28k on the clock. It was nearly bone stock minus a C6Z shifter, flowmaster axleback, and other small goodies like a shorty antenna, partition, etc.

[​IMG]

Well, the mod bug didn't take long to hit me. I tinted the windows 20% a couple weeks later, installed a Vararam CAI and lowered the car using C6 bolts and longer rears a week after that. I also replaced the Flowmaster's with a Borla XR-1 cat-back. Shortly after all that I picked up my dream set of wheels - CCW SP500s. 18x10 fronts with 275/35s and 19x11.5 rears with 305/30s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice Erik's STi sneaking in the pic:

[​IMG]

Got it tuned by Carl at CJ Tunes - the God of LSx tuning in MN. She put down average numbers for just a CAI and crappy Blowmasters:

[​IMG]

This year was a bit more fun. I dropped the car off at Doug Rippie Motorsports in mid-April and had the following done:

- LG Motorsports Super Pro 1 3/4" headers
    - LG Motorsports 3" x 2.5" cat-less X-pipe
    - GHL Bullet 2.5" axle back
    - Futral Motorsports custom-grind cam - specs are 238 / 240 - .600" / .600" - 112 LSA + 2
    - Comp 921 dual valve springs
    - Titanium retainers, timing chain, pushrods, crank bolt, seats, seals...all that shit
    - Tuned by Carl at CJ Tunes

Build pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out with the old:

[​IMG]

In with the new:

[​IMG]

Ported TB:

[​IMG]

I still need to get to MAP to compare dynos but at Rippie's shop she put down 427 whp / 395 wtq.

I had Carl clean up the tune and drivability was exponentially better. Other than that not much has changed. I finally got around to tinting the spare set of lights I had laying around. I did them myself using plasti-dip and they turned out very well. I may have them professionally tinted as the plasti-dip does attract dust and debris to stick to it but so far I like the flat black look.

[​IMG]

Brake lights on:

[​IMG]

As she sits today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Future plans:

I have a lead on a FAST 92/90 intake set-up that I'm hoping to get fairly soon but the guy's got to get his supercharger details sorted out before removing it. That should put me over the 450whp mark and greatly inflate the powerband along the way which is pretty darn good for a little 346! Other than that, I'm looking into coilovers, switching to a mod-red interior, new tires for the rear, catch can, 42 lb injectors and maybe corn, and a few other misc. things in the short-term. Long term, who knows. FI? Maybe...

And...if you made it this far, here's a teaser video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZXzpj70qAk

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. derrian

derrian Administrator Staff Member

Love all that you have done to this car JT!

For you tails, I used RC Hobby tint paint on my side markers and reflectors. Since your tail lights aren't so big, you might be able to get away with it. I haven't had any issues with the paint chipping in the winter. RC paint amazes me every time. The Pink on Erik's Miata wheels has held up a couple years now. :)

And of course I love the fall pics you guys did at For Snelling :)

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Update 5/15 - I recently had my tuner, Carl at CJ Tunes, load me up on E85. I had a set of Bosch 42 lb. Green Tops cleaned up at TPiS and had new TR55 spark plugs/wires put in. The culprit to my drivability issues were the 02 sensors - I figured they were shot but didn't want to replace them until I got a diagnosis confirming that. Car runs incredible now.

I don't notice a SOTP increase in power, but that wasn't the main reason to switch to corn. I'd like to get a dyno run at MAP this year to compare - hoping for 430whp/400wtq. I'm so happy with the car as-is I don't really know where to go next. I'm thinking coilovers. Time will tell!

4. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Been awhile since I've updated this, so for those curious, here goes:

Last year I finally got rid of the crap stock seats and replaced them with a set of microsuede Corbeau A4s as they're one of the only few that fit this car. Since it's not seeing a ton of track time I wanted something supportive, but not a race bucket. These are by far one of the best mods I've ever done - very comfortable and worlds more supportive:

[​IMG]

I also converted to e85 and with that came new injectors and a re-tune. Overall she runs a good 20* cooler now and the extra octane sure doesn't hurt engine longevity. I threw it on the rollers last last year and put down 422whp/405wtq.

Dyno vid here:

C5 Z06 Dyno - 422whp/405wtq. - YouTube

Graph:

[​IMG]

Of course I'm happy with the peak #'s compared to my stock dyno (360whp/355wtq), but I was more concerned with WHERE I picked up the power, so I went ahead and graphed the comparison. To me, it's MUCH more interesting:

[​IMG]

All in all, I picked up a good 15-60whp and 20-50wtq. within the powerband and the meat of the power is right where I wanted it with the cam.

Spring 2013 Teaser:

[​IMG]

Parts list:

- ACI front lip and side skirts
    - Mantic ER2 clutch/flywheel
    - New slave, speed bleeder, other necessary clutch parts
    - Poly torque tube couplers
    - FAST 92 intake manifold
    - Ported LS2 throttle body
    - Catch can
    - Shift knob

The exterior will get a nice refresh with the new body parts and I have a couple other plans not mentioned.

Oh, and I wasn't really planning on this, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I found a set of GM T1 sway bars with spherical endlinks for a ridiculous $200. I plan on PC'ing them to match the color of the red brake calipers. The front's a ridiculous 38mm (~1.5"), while the rear is a stout 27mm (~1"). These things are burly. Should help keep her pretty flat around the twisties...

[​IMG]

Definitely looking forward to warmer weather!

5. derp

derp New Member

Me too......BUMP :D

Happy now? Lol!

6. derrian

I think Corbeau's were the seats I wanted to look at. I'll have to find them again in my Bookmark list My issue was the cost of them... It was either 1800 each, or for the set... But I'm leaning toward each :|

Do you have power goals you are looking for JT?

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Hahaha yes I am. Thanks!

Feel free to try them out at Sonic! They were no where near that cost though - mine were $1,050 for both shipped to my door with the Corbeau seat rails. I know they have some other models that are more expensive but the A4s are very reasonable.

As for power goals, I wouldn't mind being around 450whp / 420wtq. It's a reasonable goal for the mods I have coming and if I stay N/A the only thing I'd really have left is head work, which I'm in little rush to address. I'm setting out to make a good all-around car so focusing on handling will be next. The car's nothing crazy by any means, but I'm over the hp wars and just out to make a reliable and very fun summer toy.

8. derp

derp New Member

They make plenty of power as is, you should be sitting pretty.

Sways, pads/rotors, lines, fluids, and sticky ass tires will get you going around a track nice and quick.

9. derrian

I agree on the HP wars. I've very much into a well round vehicle. Driving on straights, curves, circles. I like them all, so I want my car to do them all. :)

And in all curiosity, do you think you will stay NA?? Even if it is in the distance future?

10. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Good question! I think I will for awhile now. I have 2 years left on the loan and I really can't see myself needing an extra 200-400whp for the way I use this car. Not to mention the cost factor. Sure, parts aren't too expensive but that's not factoring in a bulletproof engine, drivetrain and fuel system. I could easily spend another $20k+ but would it be worth it? Not in my eyes. It's a street car.

I'd be more tempted to get a more potent block - think LS3 or LS7 and shoot for 600whp. Something I could bring to the track and not overheat, but still be plenty capable on the street. I'd still end up throwing a good $10k into it so at that point why wouldn't I look at getting a C6Z? Get my drift? I have a few things to do yet that aren't engine related and big bank hits so we'll see what the future holds, but I'm PLENTY happy with where I'm currently at :)

11. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Got the body pieces painted and installed this weekend. Overall I love the new look - although the fitment isn't perfect and seamless, it does look much more aggressive. Definitely gets much more attention too.

I also had all the lights smoked and painted the brake duct screens black to help compliment the scheme. I still have to paint the lower rear fascia black to complete the refresh.

Now I just have to powdercoat the swaybars and throw those on, install the intake manifold, tune and I should be pretty well set for the year.

What do you guys think? Crappy cell pics but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. derrian

I think it is looking great! It has been fun to see this project grow :)

13. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Thanks Joelle! I have a feeling things will slow down quite a bit after this year, but time will tell...

14. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Welp, I had some time on my hands this weekend and installed the ported FAST 92/90. Everything was pretty straightforward, just needed a new air bridge to put the MAF back at the stock location so I could re-route the vacuum line for the PCV system on the passenger side head.

[​IMG]

I still have to shave the FRCs to clear the new mani too.

Got a tune scheduled on Monday so things are coming along!

Oh, and I need to pick up my sway bars from PowderKeg too.

15. derrian

Oh, how was the pricing for Powder Keg on those? Someday I'm sure a lot of my parts will be headed over there since the paint job is not holding up :(

16. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I had them done in Ruby Red and clear coated so the total was $175. If I didn't add the clear it would've been $60 cheaper so I felt it was a good price, considering I got the sway bars for dirt cheap.

What paint isn't holding up on yours??

17. derrian

Hobby paint :)

I did my badges in it. And Erik Miata wheels, and it held up awesome. But I painted a ton of stuff in my engine bay, fog lights, chassis braces and it is all jacked-a-fied now. Would like to make it pretty some day :)

18. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

My sway bars are done too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Fuel rail covers trimmed, everything all buttoned up!

[​IMG]

Dropping the car off today to get re-tuned too!

20. Rewedmiata

Rewedmiata <font color="#EF77A6">Super Moderator</font>

Looking good man!