1. We have moved to a new Forum System. Please let us know if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

03-08 mazda 6 telescoping steering column

Discussion in 'DIY & How To's' started by MNmazda6, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MNmazda6

MNmazda6 New Member

after noticing a noise when driving at low speeds while turning and or hitting bumps over the course of the last few months the sound aspect didn't get worse but the response in the steering wheel and pedals did. After doing a lot of research I found out I'm not alone and luckily there is a TSB on this. Basically whats happening is the sleeve for the telescoping steering wheel is suppose to loaded with grease and dries out fairly easily resulting in a weird/unexplained clicking and knocking noise with the same feel in the pedal and steering wheel. Annoying and frustrating!! The good news is its extremely cheap and easy to fix. About a 3 out of 10 for difficulty with out of pocket expense under $5 dollars. total time from start to finish 45 minutes. The dealerships I called to have this done wanted to charge anything from $90-$125. If anyone has this problem and would like a video just let me know and I will gladly film the procedure.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Derrian

Derrian Guest

I think a video would be awesome :) Especially when it seems to be more common.

3. MNmazda6

MNmazda6 New Member

I think so too. I will have it up by weekend and hopefully it will help some people.

4. MNmazda6

MNmazda6 New Member

03-07 Mazda 6 steering noise fix

[video=youtube;am_4KlNYmuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am_4KlNYmuU[/video]

5. Wiz-Oz

Wiz-Oz Guest

Thanks

Hi MNMazda6, a big thankyou for posting the video.

I had the same issue with my Mazda 6 Sportz 2007. I had it checked at service by RAC mechanic, who said nothing's wrong. Later took to a Repco mechanic who said it needed a new $3000 steering rack. But came back to them with another query - different mechanic who said no it's not the rack and I can't find any faults. So after doing a Google search found your post.

All I had to do to stop the knock was move the steering wheel in and out a few times from original position and hey presto! No more knock/rattle.

So source of issue solved. Now I can fix it myself. No $3000 steering rack.

Many thanks