1. We have moved to a new Forum System. Please let us know if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

4.0 jeep

Discussion in 'Noob Introductions' started by Duey, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Duey

Duey Guest

I have a 97 Dakota 2wd with a 5.9 and 5-speed. I understand that the 4.0 is not a 2jz supra 6 cyl. but I'm wanting to swap from 5.2/5.9 to a 4.6 stroker or 4.0 with boost for a couple of reason's 1 is gas mileage and 2 these motors are almost indestructible. I had one with 300k miles and could still roast the tires at will and beat up 4.6 mustang automatics. A tko600 I have already got but I'm torn between a n/a 5.7 hemi base which will displace 426/440ci. And I know this is a better platform but the gas mileage. Any suggestions?

2. derrian

derrian Guest

I would always suggest the better platform. Saving a few bucks at first doesn't help you out when you decided to go with what you wanted originally anyway ;)

Is it your only car? Gas mileage on the fun cars is just lower, that is how it works. That why the dailys are around for those longer trips lol.

3. Rewedmiata

Rewedmiata <font color="#EF77A6">Super Moderator</font>

I second the changing of platforms, the dakota is a cab on frame setup thus limiting its performance envelope. So with that negativity out of the way what are your current plans for the project?

4. Duey

Duey Guest

I'm going with the hemi for a couple of reasons, weight/towing and the hemi regardless of fi or carb isn't going to be that bad on gas. I forgot about the time that I had a 77 4 wheel drive. I went though several motors and the 305 used more gas then the 350s. I found a 70k donor so now I need to decide about injection which will cost more in the short term vs carb.